Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Denver Pre-trip

I decided I would break this post down by a pre and post Denver title.  As I sit here and type this, I am yawning uncontrollably because Beth and I were up last night till after 1 AM packing for our trip to Denver tomorrow.  I absolutely love Denver and the National Western.  The history, the nastalgia, the complex(more specifically the yards), I can honestly say that it is my favorite place to go.  I have not been in a couple years because we have always been calving first calf heifers, however from the time I was 18 until two years ago, I did not miss it.  When Beth and I got engaged last winter, we decided that we would not breed anything to calve around Denver time as that would be a small honeymoon for us.  Well, I still ended up with 2 first calf heifers bred close to this time, one of which has already calved 9 days early and I am hoping the other goes within the next 24 hours so that I don't catch a bunch of flack for leaving with cows calving.

 To this day I remember my first trip to Denver vividly.  I was a freshman in college and got the opportunity to go out and work on the crew for Roth Angus( now LaGrand Angus).  I believe that year, we had something like 10 head on the hill and a pen of bulls in the yards, which was a little overwhelming to me at times as I had never been to a show with that large of a string before.   I bounced back and forth each day between the yards and the hill, doing all the jobs that the "newbies" always do, but I did not care, I was in Denver.  The view of the Rocky Mountains every morning from the yards was simply breathtaking, that very first walk across the cat walk of the yards, looking down over all the pens, full of tents and great stock was amazing. This was also the first time that I had ever seen all the display bulls in the yards the weekend before MLK day.   That first trip to Denver was everything I imagined and more.  I snuck into the yard bar for the very first time, had my first bowl of peanuts and a red beer in the hill bar(bought for me by someone that will remain unnamed as I was a minor...oops!), my first meal at The Broker and Emilenes. It was awesome and I looked forward to going back every year from there.

This year, we are not going to be out there very long, however hope to get a bunch accomplished.  I will be helping PVF Angus on the hill Friday and Bushy Park Farms in the yards.

Everyone has their list of "to do's" while in Denver, here are a few of the things that I am looking forward to on this trip:

- Go to a concert at the Grizzley Rose.  They usually have some really good live music going on this time of year, this year we are going to see the Josh Abbott Band(one of my favorites)

- Stockyard Saloon(aka The Yard Bar).  This is the place to be after cleaning up stalls and getting cattle to tie outs at night. If you go during the day for lunch, make sure to try the "Burrito as big as your head". Buena Manera!!!

- The Cowboy Bar(aka The Hill Bar)- Home of the the famed "Red Beer".  I am not a huge fan of Coors light and an even less fan of tomato juice, however put them together and it's game on.

- Texas de Brazil- Brazillian steakhouse much like Fogo de Chao.  This place is the bomb!!! A little pricey, but definitely a must eat while in Denver.

- Emillenes Steakhouse- Home of some of the best(if not the best) steaks in Denver

- Embryo's on Snow.  Very cool to watch this sale and scholorship announcement, even if your not in the club calf business.  Some of the most elite matings you won't find anywhere else are sold here.

Bases Loaded.  How many times can you say you have been to a cow sale in the middle of a baseball field.  Coors field is an awesome setting for this magnificent event.

Western Elite. Again, another club calf sale held in the yards with some of the most awesome Sim/Maine influenced females from Duello Cattle and partners.

Herd sire alley. This is the place to be on Friday afternoon and mid day on Saturday.  All of the new up and coming sires will be on display and you have never seen so many people packed into an old stockyards.  It will litterally be elbow to elbow between 10 AM and 2 PM.



These are just a few of the things that I am looking forward to.  Hopefully we can get quite a few pictures to share here and on our Facebook page when we get back next week. Look forward to seeing old and new friends soon.

Also, in case you are not a fan of ours on Facebook, make sure to go like our page.  We are having a display bull trivia contest.  Each day, one winner will receive a copy of the Livestock Merchandising and Marketing book by Rachel Cutrer.  There are still 3 more chances to win this week.  Click the link on the right of this page to be directed to our page.

See everyone this weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment