Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Barn Therapy

We all have the one thing we do to help clear our minds after a a crazy day at work or home, and in our house it is "going to the barn". Whether it is to the show barn  to rinse show and sale cattle or  to run the head-gate as we are working cattle through the chute, it is to the barn we go!  Speaking of that, it reminds me of this picture I saw on Facebook a few weeks ago, I could not help but laugh as I read it, because everyone knows there is no truth to this.


Sometimes we will help out during calving season.  Kendall and I love to go to the barn everyday during this time to see all the new babies. They are all just so stinking cute!

I also like to spend time in the pig barn with the guys.  Kendall began showing pigs a couple of years ago, and it has been great.  Not only has this project helped him make new friends, but it has also taught him responsibility and has boost his confidence.

As I write this,  I realize the barn has always been the place I go to escape what I do not want to do, which is usually some type of housework (even as a kid).  We (like many others) all go to the barn for different reasons and all have different jobs when we go there:

For Dave, the show barn is a place that he can just relax and think.  It is often that he will come home late at night, and I will ask him "What was going on in the barn?"  And most of the time he will say something like "just working."  His idea of just working can span from a lot of things though.  He is always trying to figure out how to make things better at the farm. Whether he is looking at a bull magazine studying mating decisions, calving cows, or rinsing cattle, the barn is where he likes to be.   I often find him in the barn, with either his iPod in or the radio blaring, blowing on cattle working hair just lost in thought....yes I said lost in thought, not just lost. LOL!!  He truely is one of those people that is "ate up" with the business. 
For Me (Beth), it is my place to put things in perspective...  Dave usually avoids me while I am in the barn, since the "Honey-do-list" gets put together when I have a little time to think!  The thing I love most about the barn, are the talks that Kendall and I have!  It is the one place that we lose a lot of conversation barriers and he and I just talk about life and those things that are sometimes on an 8-year old's mind.

For Kendall, well it varies from day to day!  Sometimes it is to just have fun and play in the barn!!! He recently made a "strawbale slide" with his cousins that they played on for hours. Sorry, don't have any pictures of that, but it was funny watching all of them slide down all the bales.  He loves his time with the dogs and the kittens, but he loves to "help"  a lot too!  He will feed his girls (Ginger and Gee Gee) or push hay bales down from the  loft.  He will wash and blow out his heifers, or sometimes he will just lead them around the barn.  And, there are some days he just wants to be "in" the barn not really doing anything, but just be there.

Who says you can't grow up in a barn!!  In our family it seems to be the one place we all go when we need time to put our priorities into perspective and get back to life we love to lead!!

No comments:

Post a Comment